This website is an archive of the printed and digital materials from the International Symposium on Electronic Art (ISEA). Since 1988, this nomadic symposium has been organized in a different city by a different team each time. The ISEA symposium is overseen by ISEA International (http://www.isea-web.org/), a non-profit organization fostering interdisciplinary academic discourse and exchange among culturally diverse organizations and individuals working with art, science, the humanities and emerging technologies.
Since the fall of 2013, Wim van der Plas and Bonnie Mitchell have been working on version 2.0 of the archive, updating it to the present day. What is online now is a work-in-progress.
We are currently in the process of building an even newer site (version 3.0) with advanced capabilities such as automated data relationships, access to artworks and much more. When finished, this new archive will contain the publication of profiles (‘bios’) of speakers and contributing artists, as well as photos, videos, press clippings, and related materials like posters. The original ISEA archive site was initiated in 2008 and funded by the Mondriaan Foundation and VSB Fund (both in the Netherlands). The current archive is supported by Bowling Green State University (US) and the Wim van der Plas’ archival collection.
In the meantime, the existing archive (2.0) is constantly being updated with the primary ISEA Symposium materials:
- the full set of available Proceedings and Catalogues
- Abstracts and statements for all available papers, panel sessions, workshops and tutorials, art events, concerts & performances
Archive Development Directors:
- Wim van der Plas – content manager
- Bonnie Mitchell – back-end development
- Troy Yarnell – Back-end Programmer
- Megan Miazgowicz – Content Entry
Archive Planning Team
- Wim van der Plas – Content Manager
- Bonnie Mitchell – Back-end Development
- Thomas Asmuth – Funding and Support
- Terry Wong – Future Sustainability and Connection to Symposia
- Elizabeth Hertenstein – Metadata and Library Science Standards
- Ben Szymanski – Network Specialist
ISEA International Board Archive Committee (in formation)
- Mike Philips (chair)
- Ricardo Dal Farra
- Roger Malina
- in laison with Bonnie Mitchell & Wim van der Plas
TERMS OF SERVICE
- This agreement governs your use of the materials located on the ISEA Symposium Archives. If you do not agree to these terms, please do not use the information located on this site.
- Access to the ISEA Symposium Archives is granted for scholarship and research purposes only. Copyright for the individual documents, artworks and other material is held by the authors of those materials and not ISEA International.
- Because the ISEA symposia have been hosted by numerous individuals, organizations and institutions from around the world, permission to use the materials has been granted in a variety of ways and documentation has not always been forwarded to ISEA International (formally known as The Inter-Society for the Electronic Arts). If an author or artist does not want his or her work in the archives, they are welcome to contact us via email and state the materials they would like removed and we will remove the requested copyrighted information from the archive as soon as possible.
- Some of the content available in the archive may be governed by local, national, and/or international laws and regulations, and your use of such content is solely at your own risk. You agree to abide by all applicable laws and regulations, including intellectual property laws, in connection with your use of the ISEA Symposium Archive.
- According to standard academic practice, if you use the ISEA Symposium Archive’s collections for any research that results in an article, a book, or other publication, you list the ISEA Symposium Archive as a resource in your bibliography along with the information about the author.
- The ISEA Symposium Archives is provided to you on an as-is and as-available basis. You understand and agree that ISEA International makes no warranty or representation regarding the accuracy, currency, completeness, reliability, or usefulness of the content in the archives.
- You agree to indemnify and hold harmless ISEA International and its officers from and against any and all liability, loss, claims, damages, costs, and/or actions arising from your use of the ISEA Symposium Archive.
If you find inaccuracies, omissions, or other issues with the site, please contact us at archives[at]isea-international.org
We welcome your input and hope you find the archives useful.