June 10 & 11, 2022, MACBA, Barcelona, Spain
Second Summit on New Media Art Archiving
held at ISEA2022
In partnership with Ars Electronica, the Archive of Digital Art (ADA), the SIGGRAPH History Archive, the Electronic Language International Festival (FILE), and the ISEA Symposium Archives, ISEA2022 hosted the Second Summit on New Media Art Archiving. It was held during ISEA2022, the 27th International Symposium on Electronic Art and in co-operation with the MACBA Museum of Contemporary Art of Barcelona.
The need to preserve the history of the rapidly evolving field of new media arts has spurred the development of a wide variety of new media art archives throughout the world. Museums, cultural and educational institutions, as well as individuals with collections have developed, or are planning to create, physical and/or online archives in an effort to preserve important artifacts and document events and works. The Second Summit on New Media Art Archiving facilitated critical discourse and collaboration amongst archivists, curators, and other parties interested in preserving the past. This summit served as an incubator of innovative ideas, production techniques, and infrastructure development as well as assisted in connecting like-minded individuals in an effort to create a unified approach to solving the complex problem of preserving the history of new media art forms and events.
The initiative started with an ISEA round table discussion on new media archiving at ISEA2018 in Durban, South Africa, and was followed by an enormously well-attended roundtable at ISEA2019 in Gwangju, South Korea. The First Summit on New Media Art Archiving was held during ISEA2020, (online from Montreal, Canada) featuring a keynote lecture, paper presentations, and break-out sessions. This Second Summit on New Media Art Archiving built upon the results of the first summit and also included archiving physical artifacts, digitizing museum collections, and innovative approaches to archiving, as well as an emphasis on connecting new media art archives worldwide. An (screen based and online) exhibition was held, based on a Call for Proposals for archive related electronic art.
The summit took place during the first two days of ISEA2022, 10-11 June (in parallel with the Workshops & Tutorials. The Second Summit on New Media Art Archiving was a blended event, happening at the MACBA Museum of Contemporary Art and online.
Go to: https://isea2022.isea-international.org/event/2nd-summit-on-new-media-art-archiving/
International Programme Committee for the 2nd Summit on New Media Art Archiving:
- Pau D. Alsina, ISEA2022
- Wim van der Plas, ISEA Symposium Archives
- Bonnie Mitchell, ISEA Symposium Archives, SIGGRAPH History Archive and Digital Arts Committee
- Janice Searleman, ISEA Symposium Archives, SIGGRAPH History Archive and Digital Arts Committee
- Terry Wong, ISEA Symposium Archives
- Christina Radner, Ars Electronica
- Oliver Grau, Archive of Digital Art (ADA)
- Paula Perissinotto, Electronic Language International Festival (FILE)
- Fabiana Krepel, Electronic Language International Festival (FILE)
Links to archive projects involved:
- ISEA2022: https://isea2022.isea-international.org/
- ISEA Archives: https://www.isea-archives.org/ & https://isea-archives.siggraph.org/
- Summit 2020: https://www.isea-archives.org/about_summit/
- ACM SIGGRAPH History Archives: https://history.siggraph.org/ (& https://digitalartarchive.siggraph.org/)
- ADA: https://www.digitalartarchive.at/nc/home.html
- Ars Electronica Archive: https://archive.aec.at/
- FILE: https://file.org.br/