Labs The ISEA2008 AIR programme has been made possible through a sustained collaboration with the National University of Singapore (NUS) and access to a number of technology-research laboratories that have generously facilitated artists to collaborate closely with their staff and explore innovative ways to develop their artworks in these dedicated research environments.
- Ambient Intelligence Lab The Ambient Intelligence Laboratory aims to carry out R&D in innovative sentient systems and environments for use-inspired Interactive and Digital Media (IDM) applications and services.
- Arts & Creativity Lab The Arts and Creativity Lab engages in arts-directed technology experimentation and technology-supported artistic practices.
- CRISP Centre for Remote Imaging, Sensing and Processing (CRISP)’s mission is to develop an advanced capability in remote sensing to meet the scientific, operational and business requirements of Singapore and the region. CRISP operates a ground station to receive images from remote sensing satellites including SPOT-2 and IKONOS, and conducts research in image processing and visualization. Users can browse the CRISP imagery archive at their website.
- Communications Laboratory The Communications Laboratory in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department is involved in research in the areas of digital communication transmission techniques and methods, such as digital modulation and coding, communications signal processing and RF-based location sensing. http://www.ece.nus.edu.sg/commslab
- G 3 (Graphics, Geometry & Games) Lab G 3 at the School of Computing, NUS, houses the faculty, researchers and students working on computer graphics related topics at the university. Research topics at the lab include Graphics using GPU, Computational geometry, Molecular modeling with meshing and parametric surfaces, Motion synthesis and animation, Real-time graphics and animation, 3D scanning, reconstruction and modeling, and Computational photography.
- HOMEVR The HOMEVR project aims to develop critical mixed reality technologies such as real time head tracking, 3D gesture tracking, context-awareness speech recognition, and sentient interaction between teal and virtual objects in order to build up a mixed reality system for home entertainment applications.
- Institute of Infocomm Research (I2R) I2R performs R&D in information, communications and media (ICM) technologies to develop holistic solutions across the ICM value chain. Our research capabilities are in information technology and science, wireless and optical communications, and interactive digital media. HOMEVR is based in this lab. i2r.a-star.edu.sg
- Interactive and Digital Media Institute (IDMI) IDMI is Singapore’s first inter-disciplinary research institute for cutting-edge research in Interactive & Digital Media. It’s comprised of eight laboratories including the Arts & Creativity Lab, Mixed Reality Lab and Ambient Intelligence Lab.
- Laboratory of Control and Mechatronics (COME) COME is doing research in Robotics and Manufacturing, Biomedical Engineering and Artificial Intelligence, together with industrial and academic partners in Singapore and overseas.
- Lab for Media Search (LMS) LMS is a multimedia research group in the School of Computing, NUS. It is directed by Professor Chua Tat Seng and consists of a group of dedicated Research Staff, Ph.D Students and Undergraduates focusing on the processing and analysis of both text and video. http://lms.comp.nus.edu.sg
- Marine Mammal Research Laboratory (Tropical Marine Science Institute) Conducts scientific research on marine mammal cognition and sensory perception with the objective of contributing to our understanding of marine mammal behaviour and ecology and sustainable co-existence. MMRL also studies underwater acoustics, human cross-modal sensory perception and underwater vision. https://www.tmsi.nus.edu.sg/
- Mixed Reality Lab (MXR) The Mixed Reality Lab is aiming to push the boundaries of research into interactive new media technologies through the combination of technology, art, and creativity. www.mixedrealitylab.org
- NUS Environmental Research Institute (NERI) The mission for NERI is to establish NUS as a leading global centre of interdisciplinary research, education and expertise in the environment, particularly in areas affecting Singapore and Asia. NERI’s primary foci include Air, Land, Water Resources and the Built-Environment; Human and Environmental Health; and Clean Energy.
- NUS Face Group The NUS Face Group pursues research in different aspects of the human face, including: 3D modeling, realistic animation and rendering, recognition, and expression analysis. The group combines techniques from machine learning, computer graphics, and computer vision. www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~face/
- Singapore-Delft Water Alliance (SDWA) A multi-national, interdisciplinary research alliance for water knowledge involving PUB (Singapore), National University Singapore and WL I Delft Hydraulics (The Netherlands). SDWA provides an integrated network for scientific collaboration and engineering analysis advancing our understanding of how water quantity, quality and related earth system processes are affected by natural and human-induced environmental changes.
- Tropical Marine Science Institute (TMSI) TMSI is a centre of excellence for research, development and consultancy in tropical marine science as well as environmental science. The Marine Mammal Research Laboratory is one of several research labs that it funds and supports. tmsi.nus.edu.sg
- University Scholars Programme (USP) Cyberart Studio The USP Cyberart Studio provides a truly multidisciplinary setting where scientists, artists, academics and students come together to create and collaborate.