Full Paper. Theme Immersion(s) Sub theme Symbiotic Imaginaries
This article aims to present the collective research that has been made in the framework of the research seminar “Vocabulary of the Virtual” organized by IRCAV (Institute of Research on Cinema and Audiovisual Studies), Sorbonne Nouvelle and the “Spatial Media” group, EnsadLab (Lab of the École nationale supérieure des arts décoratifs). The main topic is to clarify the notions that refer to the concept of the “Virtual” in order to define it through an interdisciplinary approach according to different fields of science (aesthetics, philosophy, film theory, sound theory, ergonomics, design, engineering, cognitive sciences, etc.).
This article presents many different conceptual tools such as cartography, mental maps, notional diagrams with several dimensions, etc., that have been conceived over the last three years, to show how the reflection on the concept of the Virtual was first established and constructed, and how it has been developed.
The notion of symbiosis seems to be defined as a structuring notion of the concept of the Virtual across the process of anchoring the levels of virtuality inside technological devices and concrete sites, as well as inside the physical body of the VR users. The user’s body serves as a catalyst for the concept of the Virtual which then becomes organic.
- Olga Kobryn (FR) Faculty Member. University of Paris 3 Sorbonne Nouvelle, Cinema and audiovisual https://paris3.academia.edu/OlgaKobryn
- Matthieu Couteau (FR) has been a PhD student at IRCAV since November 2019 and Ater at the University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne since 2022 https://ircav.fr/member/couteau-matthieu
- Rémi Sagot-Duvauroux (FR) Editor, Virtual Reality Designer, Searcher https://remisagduv.com
- Sophie Balcon Fourmaux is a PhD student under a LabEx ICCA contract at Sorbonne-Nouvelle University, Paris, France https://metis-lab.com/balcon-fourmaux-sophie
- François Garnier (FR) was one of the first computer graphics artists in France; now a researcher in spatial media and a film director https://www.mysciencework.com/omniscience/community-spotlight-francois-garnier
- Rémi Ronfard (FR) is a research director at Inria (French Institute for Research in Computer Science and Automation), and the scientific leader of the Anima team. https://team.inria.fr/anima/remi-ronfard
- Guillaume Soulez (FR) Cinema and Audiovisual Department IRCAV (Institute for research on cinema and audiovisual), Sorbonne Nouvelles, Université des Cultures, Paris, France. http://www.univ-paris3.fr/m-soulez-guillaume-29899.kjsp