Archive Presentation Statement
Keywords: media art archives, media art collection, digital art preservation, video art preservation, media art preservation, library, wiki, museology
The ZKM | Center for Art and Media Karlsruhe was founded in 1989 to provide artists with access to the latest technologies as well as a public space where exhibitions, events, and publications would allow the public to explore and discuss the potential impact of technological change on art and society.
As part of a comprehensive restructuring of ZKM, the Department Wissen (Knowledge) was founded in 2017 comprising the collection, the archives, ZKM’s public library, as well as the Laboratory for Antique Video Systems and the digital art restoration team. The archives thus include not only the history of the institution and archives of pioneers of media art,
but also the constantly expanding archives documenting the restoration of the collection’s media artworks.
The paper gives an overview of the structure and contents of the archives, as well as the potential advantages of the department’s specific structure combining the expertise of collection, archives, library and restoration.
- Christian Haardt, Audiovisual Archives and Collection
- Hartmut Jörg, Audiovisual Archives and Collection, ZKM
- Felix Mittelberger, Archivist, ZKM
- Dorcas Müller, Head of the Laboratory of Antique Video Systems, ZKM
- Margit Rosen, Head of the Department Wissen, ZKM
- Morgan Stricot, Media and Digital Art Conservator, ZKM
- Matthieu Vlaminck, Media and Digital Art Conservator, ZKM