Extended Programme Presentation
June 14, Center for Cultural Studies and Resources (CERC)
Panel (‘Roundtable’) on the benefits of artistic residencies in research centers for the two groups involved, science and art. This table was born from a previous initiative of the ECOTONS collective within the CREAF research center. It has people who have worked in artistic residencies within research centers such as the IRB (biomedical research centre) or CREAF, as well as people who combine their artistic side and their scientific side.
CREAF is a public research center dedicated to terrestrial ecology and territorial analysis, producing knowledge and methodologies for conservation, management, and adaptation of the environment to global change. https://creaf.cat
CREAF has an Arts & Ecological Science residency (Ecotons) driven internally by a group of science lovers who firmly believe in the benefits of its intersection with art.
This group of people creates Ecotons as an internal initiative working on different proposals and ideas around art and science. Ecotons are transition zones between different ecological communities, somewhat marginal places where different realities come into contact with each other, where tensions arise but also unexpected fertility. https://creaf.cat/ecotons-artistic-residence.
Carola Moujan will present a methodological reflection on the process at ISEA2022. The publication is entitled “Artistic Residencies as Critical Research: Entangled Methodologies for Future Science”.
- Carola Moujan, Artist and designer, PhD in design from the Sorbonne (France). Artist in residence ECOTONS – CREAF in 2021.
- Clara Borràs, IRB Barcelona researcher and scientific illustrator.
- Jo Milne, Professor at EINA, School of Art and Design, attached to the UAB. Artist residing at Pompeu Fabra University and Fundació Vila Casas 2022, and at IRB Barcelona in the 2020-21 academic year.
- Paula Bruna, PhD in fine arts from the UB and master’s degree in ecology from CREAF / UAB.
- Jordi Martínez-Vilalta, UAB Professor of Ecology, CREAF researcher and member of the ECOTONS CREAF collective.