Experimenta Play++ Presented as part of ISEA2008. The opening was held at Sculpture Square at the fringe of an archaic Chinese traditional building.
Experienta Play++ is an exhibition of recent Australian media art works that respond to the gallery visitor through playful and innovative interfaces involving touch, movement, sound, shadow, and pressure.
The five exemplary recent Australian media artworks are curated around the theme of “Ludic” or playful interfaces. They showcase a number of ingenious ways that the artists involve the gallery visitor in the artwork. Touch, movement, sound, shadow, and pressure are used in innovative ways to trigger responses in the works, to generate narrative within fictional worlds and create sonic compositions.
- Angela Barnett, Andrew Buchanan, Darren Ballingall, Chris MacKellar & Christian Rubino – Immersion
A treat for the senses Immersion lets visitors play with sea creatures in a virtual underwater world.
- Stephen Barrass, Linda Davy, Robert Davy & Kerry Richens – ZiZi the Afffectionate Couch
ZiZi is an affectionate ottoman couch that asks for emotional support while offering physical comfort.
- Priscilla Bracks, Gavin Sade & Matt Dwyer – Charmed
Offering omnipotence through a touch screen, Charmed invites visitors to tinker with the lives of animated people in a tabletop city.
- David Lawrey & Jaki Middleton – What’s Yours Is Mine
Visitors peer into a Magic Faraway Tree to get a glimpse into a fairytale forest in which a virtual bear pays homage to pioneer video artist Bruce Nauman.
- Narinda Reeders & David MacLeod – The Shy Picture
Resembling an early black & white film still, this unique picture comes to life but refuses to disclose the plot.
- Experimenta Play++ experimenta.org