If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research would it? _Albert Einstein
Presented by ISEA2013, the Australian Network for Art & Technology and the Powerhouse Museum. Synapse is an initiative of the Australian Network for Art & Technology (ANAT) and the Australia Council for the Arts that supports collaborations between artists and scientists.
Artists and scientists approach creativity, exploration and research in different ways and from different perspectives; when working together they open up new ways of seeing, experiencing and interpreting the world around us. For the past decade the Synapse initiative has provided over 30 Australian artists with the opportunity to pursue speculative creative research projects with scientists and medical researchers in Australia and beyond. This exhibition provides a snapshot of the diverse and fascinating research that participating artists and scientists have pursued over the past five years.
The exhibition includes:
- KEITH ARMSTRONG + LAWRENCE ENGLISH – Night Rage
- KIRSTY BOYLE – Ningyo
- PETA CLANCY + HELEN PYNOR – Study towards ‘Aftermath’
- NOLA FARMAN – Animating Solar Technology (work in progress)
- CHRIS HENSCHKE – Lightcurve
- GEORGE POONKIN KHUT – BrightHearts
- ERICA SECCOMBE – Grow 2013 (work in progress)
- KEN + JULIA YONETANI – Still life: the food bowl