Organizer: Graphite on Pink
For: All audience interested in critical reviews and discourse on works of contemporary artists based on technology
The workshop can be described as a ‘Critic Performance’ which is mainly led by art critics making a discourse on artists and artworks based on technology. 6 art critics will each introduce an artist and their critical view on the process of producing/making the artworks.
‘Graphite on Pink’ was established in 2015, a project team of organizing/planning exhibitions and publishing art books based on contemporary art. The team members focus on sharing Korean contemporary art in the global art scene and work closely with curators and art critics.
– Sponsored ‘Graphite on Pink Critic Award’ and published a documenting book of the 2nd ‘Critic Festival’ in 2016 (Organized by Kang Sumi (Art Critic)).
– Organizes the annual ‘GRAVITY EFFECT Art Critic Award’ from 2016. 6 art critics nominated in 2016 and 2017. The 3rd Art Critic Award will be held in 2019.
– Published <Post Production> written by Nicolas Bourriaud, translated by Chung Yeon Shim (PhD, Associate Professor in Hongik University) and Son Boo Kyung.
– Published <Gravity Effect> Issue 1-4, Contemporary art concept book. Main theme of issue 5 is about technology and will be published in October 2019.
- Soon Eun Yoo has MA Aesthetics in Hongik University – “Nietzsche’s physiology of art and art criticism”. She has worked in Seoul Museum of Art since 2013. She was nominated 1st at the ‘Graphite on Pink Art Critic Award’ in the 2nd Art Critic Festival 2016. She participated in the Doosan Curator Workshop in 2018. In the critic workshop, she will discuss artist Kim Heecheon under the theme of ‘digital sensibility’.
- Kwon Tea Hyun studied and wrote about cultural studies, curating exhibitions. He received the 1st prize in ‘Gravity Effect Art Critic Awards’ (2017). In electronic arts, he is interested in the artist Guido Segni. Through his work, he will rethink the status of new technology and media environment of media in connection to the concept of labor.
- Choe Nowk studied architecture in Korea University of Arts, focusing on critical writing and curating on contemporary art and architecture. He received a critic prize in ‘Open Architecture’ and ‘Gravity Effect Art Critic Awards’. In the workshop, his critic focuses on synesthesia by the mixing of various senses through artist Daniel Schine Lee using varied media like sound, video, text, notifying specific sensibilities outstanding through these media.
- Joo Ok Kim has acquired BA and MA Diplome National Superieur D’expression
Plastique Enspac in Paris-Cergy, France and MA, PhD, in Hongik University for media theory. She, currently, works as a curator at Insa Art Space in the Visual Arts Departments, ARKO. During the workshop, through the artworks of Seungsoon Park, she will discuss how to escape from the structure of human/non-human that is separated from the humanistic perspective through <Neuroscape> made of A.I Soundscape.
Full text (PDF)